Pages

Friday, June 28, 2013

Silent Stroll

Last week I participated in the Iowa Summer Writing Festival and took a class led by Doug Goetsch. We wrote four or five short pieces every day spurred by a variety of prompts. We could write in any genre so some were poems, some fiction, and some memoir. Late in the week I tried my hand at some poetry after we had been given the prompt, "Whistling."



Some people whistle as they walk past graveyards.
I prefer to stay in stealth mode
when walking among the headstones,
leaving undisturbed whatever spirits lie beneath.

Not because I’m afraid of what may arise.
I imagine they are peaceful enough
even resting in ties and dresses;
clothes they were relieved to shed in life.

I walk among hard etched names and dates
searching for peace myself.
A peace that passes all understanding
keeping heart and mind in one true faith

It’s a peace I cannot find outside of box and vault.
So silently I stroll between clusters and rows
of loved ones gathered in death
who knew as well the joys and longings of this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment