Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

An Election Lament



Today is election day. Never in my life have I been more happy to see an election come to an end. Instead of feeling patriotic and proud to participate in the election of our government leaders, I cast my vote with clenched teeth, angry and disappointed at what the process has become and wishing that I could cast a vote of “no confidence” in the whole lot.


I imagine that if I had the chance to get to know them, all the candidates (or at least the majority of them) would prove to be decent people who honestly believe they can make this world a better place. But I don’t get the opportunity to do that. Nor do I really get the chance to hear about their policies in any substantial or detailed way.

Most of what is presented to me through the media and through well-controlled websites and advertisements is aimed, not at my intellect but at my emotions. And by far most of that is negative. Research shows that negative campaigning pays off at the polls. So that is what we get. Living in one of the swing states (Iowa) I have been bombarded with campaign commercials for five or six months. The negative tone of these ads might secure an election for someone but the hidden cost they are extracting from the people and spirit of this nation shouldn't be tolerated.

First of all, I can never go to the polls feeling good about who I vote for. It doesn't matter who I vote for. By the time the election rolls around I have been convinced that they are all scumbags bent on destroying the fabric of this nation because that’s what I've been hearing every day.

Secondly, I can’t believe anything that a politician says. Sunday, while watching football, two commercials played in succession for candidates running against one another. The first commercial claimed that candidate #1 was in favor of policy A while his opponent was firmly against it. The second commercial then claimed that candidate #2 was in favor of policy A while his opponent was firmly against it. Someone is lying (probably both to some extent) but I can’t really tell who because they won’t release details about HOW they will support policy A.

Thirdly, the (less than) subliminal message to the American voters is this: You need to be afraid. These negative campaigns are preying on the latent anxiety in our changing culture. They feed upon the fears that we are losing something. They make us more afraid. They make us afraid of voting for the wrong person. Fear is a powerful motivator but not a good one. It doesn't motivate people for very long and eventually people grow weary of the fear and rebel against it. Democracy was born with the hope that we wouldn't need to be afraid of those who govern us but the current political process is pulling that hope out at the roots.

Fourth: The political process in our country has settled on the notion that THE most important thing in the life of our country is money. It’s all about the economy. When did we begin to believe that money would solve all the problems of our world? When did we buy the lie that says, “Everything will be fine if everyone has a job and some level of income”? As long as the right to make unlimited amounts of money is the holy grail of this nation we will never get  stronger as a people. At best, a healthy economy can create an arena in which we, as a nation, can face difficult issues but it can’t solve all of our problems.

Finally, and I know this has been stated elsewhere, what a shameful display of wealth this political process is. Imagine what the $6 billion spent on political adds would do for our nation if it were invested in education and community programs that helped people better themselves. I know this is all pumped into the economy one way or another but wouldn't it be different if some of it were invested in small businesses that would hire and train some of the millions of unemployed instead of going into coffers of large ad agencies and media conglomerates? How many extra people do you think the TV networks hired just because the campaigns spent hundreds of millions on advertising time?

The amount of money involved is a clear indication to me that there is a lot at stake in these elections. I am certain that big money buys access to the people who make the rules. If you donate enough money you can get face time with a politician or can provide your opinion on a complicated policy or piece of legislation. So the rules get made in favor of those who are already well-off. Rules get made that favor the already wealthy, corporations, and companies above people. Throughout history this has been a recipe for civil unrest and revolution.

Today, I’m not disgusted with democracy, I’m disappointed by what we are doing with it. Like so many things in our culture our political process has become a “win at all costs” proposition without regard to the people it is meant to serve. Neither political party is innocent in this regard. The political process in this nation has become a burden to the nation and threatens to destroy the spirit of democracy. How long can this go on?

But that doesn't mean I will abstain from voting. I will vote. And I hope and pray that whoever is elected will find the courage and strength to do what is best for all the people of this nation.

God have mercy…


No comments:

Post a Comment